Full Stack Software Engineer (Mid-Level )
About the Role
We are a purpose-driven organization with the mission for everyone at work to feel like they belong and are free to invent. We have an app to help people develop inclusive habits.
After working with a digital agency to create and evolve our app, it’s time for us to start building our in-house engineering team. This is a key role to help us get to our next level of growth.
– Developing and maintaining our Ruby on Rails application. Making informed decisions, quickly drawing from a breadth of technical experience
– Turning designs and wireframes into functional applications. Decide on the right technological path, and implement your solutions. This is to make sure that our platform can support the plans on the roadmap – in terms of business, user, and development needs
– Ensure that our systems are stable and scalable
Currently, this is a part-time role, but we are hoping to be able to expand the team permanently later in the year. The role reports to the founder and CEO.
We are looking for someone who:
– Understands agile beyond the terms and the process: we are not doctrinaire but we believe strongly in the principles. We are looking for someone who is flexible in their application but thinks deeply about the why, the people impacted and the result.
– Be collaborative and support a scientific, research-driven approach: Someone who can work closely with designers, researchers, and other project stakeholders to understand the purpose behind what we are building and who can advise on the best approach and suggest alternate ways of delivering user value.
– Will prioritise the most vulnerable: we expect our developers to prioritise the safety and security of the people who trust us with their very personal feelings about themselves and others – they should challenge the team when they are overreaching, flag up risks that non-engineering team members may miss, and ensure everything we create has critical safeguards built in.
– Has worked on more than one live project that people use: we need someone who understands what happens when software hits the real world and people interact with it, who is capable of shipping production-ready code.
The skills we’re looking for:
– Ruby and Ruby on Rails is a MUST
– Experience of version control (ideally Git)
– TDD/BDD experience
– SQL (preferably MySQL or PostgreSQL)
– HTML and CSS (knowledge of Bootstrap is a plus)
– Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams to plan and ship projects
– Ability to identify areas of risk and complexity during the planning process
– Ability to work iteratively and collaboratively, with open communication
– Can turn wireframes and designs into functional applications
– Writing and maintaining integration and unit test suites
– Experience working with AWS and Heroku