Open Data Services Co-operative
Open Data Services Co-op aims to make open data useful, usable and in-use. We like to work with projects that combine innovation and engagement to deliver sustainable social impact with open data. We work with transparency initiatives such as Open Contracting, 360 Giving, Beneficial Ownership and International Aid Transparency and provide tools and technical assistance to organisations across the world.
You will join our expanding beneficial ownership transparency team, helping our clients, governments and civil society to implement policy goals around corporate transparency, including through increased adoption and implementation of the Beneficial Ownership Data Standard.
In this role you will work alongside colleagues and experts in partner organisations to:
- Develop knowledge of a complex and evolving subject and assess the role of technology and data in meeting policy aims.
- Work with stakeholders internationally to identify and resolve key policy and implementation challenges, to produce high-quality and interoperable beneficial ownership data.
- Gather user stories and develop requirements for data-related tools, processes and products.
- Identify the need for, and contribute to developing, tailored technical advice for policy and advocacy colleagues, policy makers, system architects and developers.
- Explore, analyse and report on data for technical and policy audiences.
- Contribute to the development of data standards.
- Keep a focus on the impact of open data: making sure that transparency is not a tick-box exercise, but instead that it delivers genuinely impactful outcomes.
We are looking for people with strengths in several of the following areas and the desire to develop in the others:
- Ability to provide technical consultancy and support to clients from all over the world, using excellent verbal and written skills to communicate complex topics.
- Ability to deliver high-quality technical analysis, including the ability to link technical detail with subject matter expertise and policy goals or context.
- Ability to work directly with clients and stakeholders to gather and analyse requirements and constraints for data-related processes, products and tools.
- An understanding of one or more structured data formats (JSON, XML, relational databases, spreadsheets, etc.) and ability to analyse, clean or visualise data (for example using Python, spreadsheets, SQL or other technologies).
- Ability to understand, work with and contribute to the development of data standards.
All candidates should have:
- An interest in using technology and open data as tools for social change.
- The ability to work remotely, and with online collaboration tools.
- The ability to work and learn autonomously and in a team, prioritising a complex workload.
Experience of, or interest in, working cooperatively and democratically.
As a workers co-operative, we are interested in people with experience of, or interest in, working co-operatively and democratically.
In addition to working on projects, you will be willing to take part in shared decision-making and to contribute to running the business.
We welcome candidates with experience in, or the desire to learn about, any aspect of running the co-op: finance, staff welfare, business development, governance and communications.
We operate a flat rate of pay for all staff, currently set at £40,000 per calendar year. Members may also decide to pay all staff a bonus at the end of the financial year.
We provide a 4% pension contribution to our Workplace Pension scheme.
We will provide all of the hardware, tools and software required for the job, including a laptop or desktop computer and any equipment or furniture required for a safe and comfortable home-working setup. Staff are also free to use their own devices.
We will pay for a local co-working space if you don’t want to work from home.
We offer a training budget of £1,000 and 5 paid days per year, and are committed to supporting staff development, training and conference attendance.
Our benefit package covers group life insurance, generous parental leave, a health and wellbeing service that includes GP consultations and counselling, a cycle-to-work scheme, and an allowance for eye tests.
We are an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, belief, disability, gender, marital status, religion, race, sex, or sexual orientation, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
We particularly welcome applications from disabled, ethnic minority and women candidates as these groups are underrepresented in our organisation.
Further details and next steps
Head to BeApplied to see the full job description and to start the application process: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/bx6k4sjaxe?utm_source=ubtech