Company: Facebook App
Country: United Kingdom
Meta seeks a highly motivated and experienced team player to serve as Associate General Counsel on Meta Ireland’s Data Protection team, based in our European headquarters in Dublin (preferred) or in London. This is a great opportunity for an ambitious lawyer to join a large international legal team and to work on cutting-edge issues in a fast-paced, fun environment. The role will focus on leading on strategic and tactical legal counseling to internal legal, product, operations and business teams in order to identify and mitigate legal risk in all phases of product development as well as engaging with European data protection authorities, where required. It requires good judgement, a strong work ethic, and a keen interest in learning about new technologies and areas of the law. The ideal candidate will have experience advising on regulatory compliance (and in particular advising on Youth-related legal and compliance issues) in respect of cutting-edge products, and will be eager to roll up their sleeves and find creative solutions to support the company’s innovation.
Associate General Counsel, Data Protection Responsibilities:
- Analyse Meta’s products, policies and initiatives to provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple jurisdictions.
- Coordinate with our Data Protection Office and provide policy, product, engineering, and other business teams with legal advice from a European data protection and regulatory perspective.
- Coordinate with public policy and communications colleagues on external communication, policy development, and enforcement decisions.
- Provide full service support to wider legal team on European regulatory and litigation matters.
- Monitor and respond to developments in data protection and relevant consumer laws (i.e., new laws, regulations, important judgements, regulatory guidance, etc.)
- Qualified lawyer in Europe and admitted to practise in at least one jurisdiction, with excellent credentials from top law school
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant legal experience, including at a law firm or prior in-house experience (applicable litigation, regulatory or product counselling experience will be considered)
- In-depth knowledge of legal issues in the area of the operation of online (social media) platforms including an excellent understanding of data protection law. Youth-specific experience would be ideal.
- Ability to independently, quickly and accurately assess legal, practical and business risks in a fast-paced environment and make sound judgments under tight deadlines
- Passion for and understanding of technology
- Excellent problem-solving, written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working within a global legal team
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to get the job done
- Sharp focus on multi-tasking, details, and organisational skills
- Knowledge of, or fluency in, other European languages is a plus.
- Experience advising clients on risk assessment and mitigation across technology product platforms, mobile, application development, social networking, machine learning, or other Internet technologies. Prior experience working with internet or technology companies a plus
- Experience working directly with European Data Protection Authorities a plus